Saturday, October 4, 2008

Friday, 10/03/08 workout

Great workout last night using the TT Big 5 Workout "C", Barbell complex.

The velocity of this workout is awesome! Here's how it broke down for me on the first try. The rep count for each movement is set pretty high, so this routine is all about total body "motion". It included:
  • BB Squat
  • BB Push Press
  • BB Row
  • Forward Lunge
  • Mountain Climber

Notes and Oberservations ( ...and confessions...)

OK, so here was the plan...
I had big ideas that I was gonna load up the barbell and crank out the reps for the first 3 movements using the same weight. Then I planned to move over to some dumbbells for the forward lunges and then drop them and knock out the mountain climbers.

That would indicate that the Push Press was going to be my weakest exercise here.

..at least it was a plan...here's the hard reality...

I loaded up the BB with 105#. The squats would be no contest at that weight and the rows pretty easy as well...but it was more than I could bite off and chew on the push presses. I managed to knock out the first 10 or 11 reps and then I had a reality check....there was no way I could finish that first set and then come back around and do 30 or more of these!

So, as quickly as I could I reloaded some of my DBs to 45# and finished out the set...and I used that setup for the remaining 2 circuits.

I knocked out the lunges with a pair of 30# DBs and mountain climbers are well...mountain climbers.

25 minutes later...I was jacked to the ceiling! Man that was awesome. I am going to love this whole program.

To finish out workout "C" you need some form of continuous, challenging cardio for 20 minutes steady. ( "Challenging" means that you actually have to be pushing yourself...but you can still dot it for the full length of time.)

So I warmed up...stretched my calves...warmed up some more...and then did my 20 minutes on the treadmill...cooled down and all done.

So...minus the gut check at the beginning, this was a great workout and I look forward to the challenge of it again in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment